Call for Your Free Consultation:
(805) 338-6880
Slip & Fall / 6.29.2022

How to Sue for a Slip & Fall Injury

Author: Westlake Injury Law

Understanding Your Rights After a Slip & Fall Accident

Being injured in a slip and fall accident can be a scary experience. It can also leave you questioning how you are going to be able to afford your medical bills if you need to take time off of work. Depending on the situation, you may be able to sue for a slip and fall injury. Hiring an attorney is the best way to ensure that you receive compensation for your losses.

At Westlake Injury Law, our attorneys are well-versed in helping individuals who have suffered harm after a slip and fall accident. We work tirelessly to ensure injured parties receive the compensation they deserve from any liable parties. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, contact our office at (805) 338-6880 for a free consultation. 

Who Can I Sue If I am Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident?

The most likely party that you would sue if you were injured in a slip and fall accident is the property or business owner. Under many circumstances, a property owner is required to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition. If they fail to do so, resulting in your injury, they might be able to be held liable.

Because the question of liability can be complex, it is essential to consult with a slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible. An attorney can help determine whether you have a valid claim for damages and who should be held responsible for your losses.

Can I Sue the City If I Slipped on the Sidewalk?

If you are injured on a sidewalk controlled by the city, you might be able to pursue a lawsuit if it was kept in a dangerous condition. It is important to note that government agencies are often protected from being sued through sovereign immunity; however, there are exceptions. 

An attorney can help investigate your claim and figure out who can be held liable. A sidewalk may be maintained by a municipality or by the property owner. If a city maintained the sidewalk, you would then need to prove that there was an unsafe condition resulting from the negligence of a public employee and that they either had notice or should have had notice about it and failed to correct it. 

Can I Sue If There Was a Warning Sign?

The presence of a warning sign does not prevent you from being able to obtain compensation from a liable party. You will want to look at where the warning sign was located, whether it was sufficient notice of the dangerous condition, and how big it was. 

Can I Sue If I Was Injured on Residential Property?

The fact that you slipped and fell on residential property does not prohibit you from pursuing compensation. The homeowner may still be liable if you were injured on their property as a result of a dangerous condition. 

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?

In California, you have up to two years to file a claim for damages after a slip and fall accident. While two years may seem like a long period of time, it can go by quickly. Contacting an attorney immediately after you are injured can help ensure that all claims are filed timely. If you are pursuing compensation from the city, you may have an even shorter period of time to notify them of the accident.

Hiring a Slip and Fall Attorney

Were you injured in a slip and fall accident? Contact our office at (805) 338-6880 for a free consultation. There are no fees unless we win. Call now to discuss your case with an experienced member of our legal team.

 Contact us today at (805) 338-6880 for a free consultation, and let us fight for your rights.

Share This Story

Find this topic intriguing? Your network may feel the same! Share this story on your social platforms and position yourself as an informed source, elevating the conversation around this subject.

Timing is Everything.

Do not delay in addressing your legal concerns. If your situation has gotten out of hand, contact a Ventura County lawyer at the Westlake Injury Law to learn more about how we may be able to help you.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute a client relationship.
Call An Attorney
uploadmagnifiercrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram